what are the most popular building and packaging tools for python ??

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Tue Oct 26 04:18:35 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

> <snip>
>
>Of course, there _are_ still, today, applications which can't assume the
>net is available and must still offer full functionality no matter what.
>They're fewer and fewer, thanks be, as connectivity spreads -- games
>accrue multiplayer online-play features that players are eager for,
>financial programs require access to updated exchange rates or stock
>levels, and so on.  If you do need to sell applications which have full
>functionality without net access, you may as well resign yourself: you
>will never be truly safe, alas.

<snip>
Hello,

          Yes of course you're completely correct - you can't make
anything totally secure - I'm talking of a handheld app so I can't
assume connectivity always.  However I can make it more difficult than
it needs to be to make illegal copies of the kit, consider this example :

==

No Obfuscation or Licence manager

Copy it - simply copy it onto a new handheld
Source code - decompile it

No Obfuscation and Licence Manager

Copy it - get help to break the licence manager but getting the source
code off, reading the source code and use that to help discover what
you're looking for
Source code - decompile it

With Obfuscation and Licence manager

Copy it - discover how the licence manager works which will normally
have three levels of protection - Secrecy, mathematical managling and an
identification code
Source code - copy off the byte code, decompile it get a function that
uses /a/ for a class /aa /for another method /aaaaaaaaaaa /for another
variable, VoteGeorgeBushOff for an interface (did you liek the
subliminal message!!).  Yes you can deobfuscate that by working out what
went on but its not gonna be easy and you may as well not bother.

==

    So while I certainly agree that its impossible to make code safe,
the same way its impossible to stop a determined person kicking my front
door down.  It is better to put obstacles in the way to increase the
pain barrier to stopping it.  Cracking XP/Doom3/The Sims is done all the
time - this isn't a 10K unit sale (if it becomes that I'll host a python
party in the carribean!!) more like a <100 unit sale.

    In general, you could also get the handheld if connected to
T'Internet (British people may get that!!) to dial home with it's serial
number every so often just so I can check that it's still licenced
correctly.

    Once again, I know this isn't fool proof but to mean I'm comparing
it against house security - not putting a lock on the front door is
madness; then you need to work out how dangerous your area is and put
appropiate security around it but it's never gonna be unbreakable!!!

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn