What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Jonathan Ellis jbellis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 09:37:07 EDT 2004

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> another Perl/Python question: the subject says it all.
>
> Perl is going to change dramatically to become a more powerful and
> easier to (read|write) language.

Perl6 has been in development since 2001 and isn't anywhere near done.
No doubt it will be done sometime but it reminds me of Gnu Hurd --
working alternatives are out there so it's hard to get excited about
vapor.  (Which isn't exactly fair to the Hurd guys. :)

Perl6 will fix some of the worst broken-ness of perl5 but I haven't
seen anything indicating that Wall's TMTOWTDI philosophy has changed,
so it will still suck for anything nontrivial.

-Jonathan