IDLE--what are your experiences with it?

Gabriel Cooper gabriel.cooper at mediapulse.com
Fri Oct 22 11:59:04 EDT 2004

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm looking for other peoples' viewpoints about their experiences with
> IDLE as an editor--what are its good points? What are its limitations?
> Any advice/insight is appreciated.

When I was in windows I used Idle more often, it was just as easy to
pull up idle as it was a command line. However even then I ended up
using command line python more often than Idle since I was running my
own apps from the command line. Now that I'm on linux I never use Idle.
And either way, I only ever used the command line interpreter (or Idle)
to verify syntax before putting it into my code.

e.g.

"Hm... I don't recall... is the four-year date in datetime %Y or %y?"

So I'll pull up python, get my answer, close python, continue on in my
"real" editor.

Gabriel.