[Fwd: Re: what are the most popular building and packaging tools for python ??]

Neil Benn neil.benn at arcor.de
Mon Oct 25 16:41:43 EDT 2004

Steve wrote:

> <snip>
> (the suits are yet to be enlightened about
> the benefits of OSS).

<snip>
Hello,

         A word of warning, if you get a knowledgeable suit (hmm, I wear
street clothes at work, does that make me a street!?!?) then they may
start looking at reverse compilation.  This is something it it possible
to do in most 'bytecode' languages - other bytecode implementations
(java, .NET) use 'obfuscators' that will make your code unreadable if
someone tries to decompile it.  To this end, I've not seen a python
obfuscation tool - this is a real shame because it does mean I have to
release my source code if I'm writing a commercial app.  To my mind the
'make your client sign an agreement' policy doesn't always work,
especially if I'm selling low value (sub $2K) tools where I don't want
to go through the bother of waving a legal agreement under somebody's
nose when I'm selling software (any more than a typical EULA) and I
certainly wouldn't have the clout to enforce it!  This includes the EULA
as well so you basically need a good licence manager.

   As to why I wouldn't open source my code - well what I'm doing hasn't
been done before in my industry - if I release source code then someone
can lift the ideas out of my code or simply bypass the licence manager
to install multiple clients for the cost of one.  This means that I
either have to write my licence manager in C or bridge out to another
language.  Before you ask - I buy my music!!

   If anyone has heard of an obfuscator for python bytecode - let me
know please.

Cheers,

Neil