PythonCom equivalent on Linux!

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Wed Oct 20 08:55:51 EDT 2004

In article <1glwiwv.13q0jwj15hcgoyN%aleaxit at yahoo.com>,
 Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Eric Brunel <eric_brunel at despammed.com> wrote:

[...]
>> Just a precision to be sure no-one will be misunderstanding this: nothing
>> prevents you to use different CORBA ORBs for your different languages.
>> Since all ORBs use the same protocols and architecture, they interoperate
>> quite gracefully.
>
>Absolutely, as long as typical inter-ORB mechanisms (IIOP first and
>foremost, I believe that's the only standardized one, right?) are
>acceptable for your purposes.  The OP seemed to think that this couldn't
>possibly be the case for _his_ purposes and I didn't challenge that
>assumption.

Going further, if you want CORBA communication between different
languages in a single process, you basically have to use the same ORB
for all of them. There is no CORBA standard for binary linking between
languages as there is in COM. In theory, in some circumstances you
could do it, but they would still end up talking IIOP through the TCP
loopback interface. In practice, C level symbols often clash between
ORBs, making it fundamentally impossible. You certainly can't have two
different C++ ORBs running in one process, for example.

CORBA is just not intended for that kind of in-process
interoperability. If you absolutely have to have that, you have to
stick with just one ORB. omniORB allows efficient communication
between C++ and Python in one process, and I assume ORBit does too.
Unfortunately, ORBit has historically not been too bothered about
sticking to the CORBA specs, but it might be better now.

[...]
>> The OMG site has a good list of ORBs, free or commercial:
>> http://www.omg.org/technology/corba/corbadownloads.htm
>
>Very good site to check for anything CORBA, btw, so tx for posting the
>URL!  I should have dome that myself but didn't think of it, sorry.

Good, but that page is hopelessly out of date. I don't think anyone at
the OMG maintains it. If they do, they're doing an awful job...

This page has some useful information about the ORBs out there and
what they support:

  http://www.puder.org/corba/matrix/

Cheers,

Duncan.