reverse Jython

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 20 17:55:05 EDT 2004

Maurice LING wrote:
> Please don't get me wrong. Academic work need not be detached from
> real-world usefulness, in fact, academic work should have the potential
> to solve real-world problems.

The trick is knowing which research has the potential.

The example I like best is research into primes.  It had
over 2000 years of study before its practical use in
cryptography.

Was there another practical use of primes before the mid-1900s?
Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle suggests unique prime
decomposition was used as a basis for information management,
but I don't know if that was real, much less practical.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com