New to Python: Features

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 02:54:32 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

> Had you read the tutorial, you would discover the answers to all of
> these questions, but I'll answer them anyways.

I don't think the tutorial answers all these questions, by a long shot;
this looks to me like a school assignment intended to force a student to
spend at least 2-3 days looking for the many answers (it also looks like
the questions are generic, using terminology that's not appropriate to a
specific language, Python in particular -- this reinforces the
impression that this is a school assignment, rather than specific
interest in Python in particular on Mr Blackwood's part).

Fortunately, Josiah, some of your answers are in good part debatable,
arguable, or imprecise enough that, if Mr Blackwood simply copies all of
them, while he will (arguably undeservedly... unless getting somebody
else to do your homework is a skill deserving recognition, today...;-)
get a passing grade, it should not be a _good_ grade, at least.  If he
cares about his GPA he'll still have to do research to check up each of
the answers you have supplied!-)

> Next time, read the damn documentation.

Why should he, if he can shirk the work and find others willing to do it
on his behalf?-)

Alex