New to Python: Features

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:36:12 EDT 2004

> >>Weird, I guess that means I can manipulate them in this way.  Wonder if
> >>I can add keywords...
> >
> >Nope, changing the contents of that module won't change the behavior of
> >the interpretor.
> >
> Argg, what's it for then I ask?

I use keyword.kwlist for syntax highlighting keywords in my editor.  I'm
sure others use it for other reasons.

> >>Great, I'll check that out.  I guess that will allow me to extend the
> >>language in C.
> >
> >Yes, though Pyrex is not required for C<->Python interaction.  You can
> >do it all by hand, though SWIG and Boost Python seem to work pretty well.
> >
> Can I use Pyrex with the Psycho JIT?

Psyco can only speed up Python.  Libraries that are already compiled
C/C++/whatever will gain nothing.

I would doubt there would be any issues involving using Pyrex for making
compiled modules, then also using Psyco to speed up the leftover Python
code.

 - Josiah