2 Newbie questions.

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Thu Oct 7 09:25:51 EDT 2004

Steven Bethard schrieb:
> Len Sumnler <pcslen <at> comcast.net> writes:
>
>>I have searched the net and performed chmod +x mypython.py and added as the
>>first line of my program #!/usr/bin/env python.  When I try to run the
>>program as follows $ mypython.py I get the error message of, "bash:
>>mypython.py: command not found".  What am i doing wrong.
>

> Not really a Python question, but maybe I can help anyway.  A couple of things
> to check:
>
> 1) Does "/usr/bin/env python" work at the shell prompt?  If not you probably
> don't have python on your path.
>
> 2) If "/usr/bin/env python" does work for you from the shell, did you create
> mypython.py on a Windows machine?  I've gotten these errors occasionally when
> moving a script from a Windows box to a Unix box because the shell doesn't
> like the \r's that Windows puts at the end of lines.  You could try using
> dos2unix or a similar script to remove these.

3) I think it must be ./mypython.py - the script isn't automatically
searched for in the current directory. But it's quite right that this is
a unix/linux and not a Python question.

Sibylle

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE