Quixote Question

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 10:37:04 EDT 2004

[Fuzzyman]
| I think it's an APACHE server, so I should be alright with that. It's
| just that there are two c files in the src directory : _c_htmltext.c
| and cimport.c
|
| I won't easily be able to compile those *on* the server (I don't
| think). I *might* be able to get the sysadmin to do a proper install -
| but no guarantees.

As far as I can remember, you don't strictly need those two: Quixote
will fall back onto Python equivalents, presumably with some small loss
in performance (but if you're running CGI I doubt you'll notice).

| I haven't even gone through the demo yet - so I don't know much about
| the practicalities *at all*. But I *think* I understand why it will be
| useful. I imagine you build your website as a single application with
| the URLS mapping to function calls etc...

That's more-or-less it.

| As I will probably have to use standard CGI I will have to implement
| my own session persistence.

Yes. Quixote comes with session hooks (which I haven't used myself)
but they'll die unless you save them away each time. There's an
example of doing this in at least one of the online tutorials.

| Hmm... how would I do a rewrite ? Send a redirect header ?

Basically: .htaccess. Again, explanations are on the
setup/howto/beginner guides on the main Quixote site.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk