PythonCom equivalent on Linux!

John johng2001 at rediffmail.com
Sat Oct 16 02:12:30 EDT 2004

> One thing nobody has mentioned yet is your statement that for CORBA
> you "have to have a server running". That is one of the common myths
> about CORBA. For CORBA to work, there is no need for some kind of
> separate server. Processes using CORBA talk to each other directly,
> not through some other server.

Hi Duncan,
  I found out about the pleasure of CORBA for the first time with your
omniORBPy. That said, I am thinking of my components not to be
seperate processes (OK! I won't call them servers :-) ) running all
the time. Take an ActiveX control for example. It is an in-process
component, comes to life only when a client application creates it and
consumes zero memory otherwise. Deployment is simpler than deploying a
daemon. This was what I wanted. I did not need to preserve state
across clients. I think you are pointing to something akin to IPC like
DDE. If you think CORBA can be used like an ActiveX in-process
control, please let me know how.

Thanks.