GPL and Python modules.

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 20:37:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 21:04 -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>
> > Looks that way. Time was, authors would use the LGPL for libraries
> > (which was why it was developed in the first place). But if someone puts
> > a module under the GPL then any integrated use of that module is a
> > dervied work and must, if redistributed, be put out under the GPL.
>
> Reading a prior post here, there was one thing that could be done:
> writing an interface module, releasing the source for such an interface
> module, and communicating with it through pipes, RPC, etc.  It would
> separate your code from the other and free you from the obligation of
> using GPL.

Hm. Much like the NVidia drivers for Linux do (the "shim" interface
between the kernel and their proprietary code is open source, which
solves a couple problems at once for them [licensing and changing
kernels]).  However, I also doubt they are using pipes or command line
arguments for communication, so I wonder how they've resolved that
issue.

Regards,
Cliff

--