Is there a "Large Scale Python Software Design" ?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 20:47:27 EDT 2004

On 18 Oct 2004 16:49:29 -0700, Jonathan  Ellis <jbellis at gmail.com> wrote:
> The benefits of static typing, not least among which is the vastly
> superior ease of creating tools that "understand" the language,
> outweigh python's advantages in an environment when many people are
> writing a lot of code.  This can be mitigated by reducing the
> connectedness of your code, e.g. with a plugin architecture, but that
> isn't always an option either...

On principle, I disagree with this statement. Doing large scale
development using Python isn't certainly the same thing as to do it
with another language - C, C++ or Java, for instance. It will require
a different approach to the problem, and perhaps a particular set of
tools and disciplines to help with the process. But I don't think that
static typing represents such a great advantage per itself, as to make
Python badly suited to the problem, because there are many aspects to
it, and Python has its own advantages too. Give it a solid design,
leveraging Python particular strengths, and the end result has the
potential be a positive surprise. But again, that's just my opinion,
and I'm not the best person around to make a definitive claim on it
:-)

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos