Include pysqlite2 into Python 2.5?

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Thu Oct 21 09:42:19 EDT 2004

Gerhard Haering wrote:

> Especially those of you that have used PySQLite in the past, do you
> have any suggestions that would make the rewrite a better candidate
> for inclusion into Python?

great idea!

I'm currently in the planning phase of moving an application
from a relational database to SQLite via PySQL. I think
embedded, SQL capable databases are "the next big thing"
there is just to much pain being felt by having to manage a
big database when you don't really need them ....

> One problem I see is that even the new PySQLite will grow and try to
> wrap much of the SQLite API that are not directly related to the
> DB-API. If such a thing is too complicated/big for the standard
> library, then maybe it would be better to produce a much simpler
> PySQLite, especially for the Python standard library that leaves all
> the fancy stuff out. My codename would be "embsql".
>
> So, what would you like to see? "import sqlite", "import embsql", or

I think import sqlite would be the sensible thing. Just as you said ...
... refuse the temptation to guess ...

Istvan.