Parallelization on muli-CPU hardware?

Corey Coughlin corey.coughlin at attbi.com
Wed Oct 6 14:32:57 EDT 2004

Speaking of multiprocessor architectures, here's a link I ran across
last month:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan/20040910#the_difference_between_humans_and

It describes Sun's next chip, the Niagra project, a single chip with 8
processor cores each capable of running 4 threads, for a total of 32
threads.  And you can bet they're coming up with multichip servers.
This is actually technology from a company that Sun bought, and now
they're kind of staking the future of the company on it. (Especially
given the Millenium chip fiasco.)  But they're not alone by any
strech, AMD says it'll be shipping a multicore opteron next year, and
Intel is already out the HT technology, and they'll be doing
multicores soon too.  The future is here, we should be prepared.

------ Corey