Eric3 + Qt licensing [was Re: The IDE question]

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Fri Oct 15 14:03:05 EDT 2004

    Phil> To be pedantic for a second...  Eric3 is free on all
    Phil> platforms. However it requires PyQt and Qt which are not
    Phil> free on all platforms. The idea of a commercal .exe version
    Phil> of Eric3 is a possibility which wouldn't require PyQt and Qt
    Phil> licenses and would be priced to compete with the
    Phil> alternatives.

    Phil> Let me or Detlev know if you would be interested in this.

Wasn't there a cheap Windows version of PyQt+Qt that came with some
Blackadder-book? Couldn't it be used to compile and distribute the
windows version of eric3 free of charge? Alternatively, isn't it
possible for someone that has already bought the license to Qt to just
compile and distribute the Eric3 binary?

This Qt licensing thing is way too messy, I'm not surprised that so
many developers are doing their best to avoid it...

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb