The IDE question

dataangel k04jg02 at kzoo.edu
Sun Oct 10 01:40:07 EDT 2004

Byron wrote:

> Hi DA,
>
> I don't know if you will find this to be helpful, but one of my
> favorite IDEs is DrPython, which is free and allows you to have
> multiple files open at the same time.  Check it out...
>
> http://drpython.sourceforge.net/
>
> Byron
> ---
>
> dataangel wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find an IDE for python that I'm comfortable with. For
>> my needs IDLE actually works 99% of the time, but on my current
>> project I need to have lots of files open at once, and I would really
>> prefer to have tabbed browsing. I'd even try to code this into IDLE
>> myself but I have no experience with Tk.
>>
>> All of the IDEs I've found (google + python wiki page) are either A)
>> Commercial or B) Written for either an older version of python or
>> wxPython or C) Are syntax highlighting in eclipse and that's it.
>>
>> All I'm really looking for is the equivalent of IDLE with tabbed
>> browsing. Anyone have any suggestions?

DrPython seems to be just what I'm looking for -- after a few bugs are
fixed and the open file window is improved. I can't open files on
computers on my local network because there's no mechanism to do that, I
can't type in my own path (doesn't respond to me typing it in and
hitting enter), and shortcuts to folders don't show up. I also managed
to find a bug that consistenly makes my system hang :P

I'm e-mailing them the bugs, but overall the best IDE I've tried so far :D