Order in metaclass

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:28:26 EDT 2004

On 15 Oct 2004 15:11:11 +0300, Ville Vainio <ville at spammers.com> wrote:

>     Michele> Using a "metafunction" is a kind of abuse,
>     Michele> yes. Nevertheless, I used this trick to resolve the
>     Michele> metaclass conflict:
>
>     Michele> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/204197c
>
> Broken link, I guess you meant:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/204197
>
> I don't think the term "metafunction" is applicable, because calling
> it doesn't return a function, and everything that returns a callable
> object is at some level a metafunction (at least in the sense
> metaclass is a metaclass).

I used the term "metafunction" originally as a joke, followed by a
smile :-) For the lack of a better name, it was a reasonable play of
words at that particular time... but sure, a better name should exist.
As it is now, it's a degenerate metaclass of sorts -- pretty much like
a errant virotic RNA strand, lacking even the proteine capsule that
proper virus have... It's hard to classify.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com