[warning: 99% OT] does anything like this exist ?...

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Tue Oct 26 11:23:55 EDT 2004

[Fred]
> I could have a daemon to
> frequently poll that POP3 address, pulling only the headers (or maybe the
> first body KB or so) and running those through a bayesian filter. If a
> message comes out "clean" it is left on the server (so I can access it
> from wherever I am), if it doesn't it is downloaded to a local mbox and
> removed from the server (like getmail.py does) so I can still dig out the
> occasional false positive when I'm home...

Andrew Dalke contributed a program to the SpamBayes wiki that does
exactly this:

  http://www.entrian.com/sbwiki/SpamBayesCuller
  http://www.entrian.com/sbwiki/RecentChangesOfSpamBayesCuller

"This program, sb_culler, uses SpamBayes to run a POP3 email culler.  It
 connects to my email servers every few minutes, downloads the emails,
 classifies each one, and deletes the spam and viruses.  (It makes a
 local copy of the spam, just in case.)"

You'll need to download and install the SpamBayes source code as well,
from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61702&package_id=58141

Take either the .tgz or the .zip, not the .exe (which installs a binary
application rather than the source).

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com