Open Source License Question

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Wed Oct 27 12:39:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:09:51 +0000, Neil Hodgson wrote:
> I would
> love to be able to just renounce copyright on my work but it no longer
> appears possible.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing prevents you from doing that. Usually
all you need is a "This work is placed in the public domain by the
author", and it would probably be a good idea to add a date and a name,
though later modifiers can freely remove it.

As long as you understand that if someone uses your software to power
their Alan Parsons Project "Laser" and holds the Earth hostage for ONE
MEEEEEEELION DOLLARS that you have no recourse whatsoever, that's fine.
(Obviously an extreme, but it is worth pointing out the relinquishing all
rights really means *all* rights; I've seen too many people who really
didn't get that. I don't mean to imply anything about you personally,
Neil, this is just one of my reflexive comments I make on this topic.)