[ANN] PySQLite 1.0

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:50:44 EDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:45:05 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>
> > =============================
> > Announcement for PySQLite 1.0
> > =============================
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that PySQLite has reached version 1.0 now.
>
> Cheers and celebrations!!!  It's always important to hear when a
> developer deems his code mature and solid enough to risk the "1.0" label
> -- and this goes double for the _excellent_ PySQLite, which was a pretty
> solid and mature and _incredibly useful_ piece of code for quite a while
> already.  Bravo Gerhard!
>
> I hope the DBAPI SIG's efforts to make a better DBAPI 3.0 aren't quite
> stalled...?  I think it's high time to standardize down to ONE format
> for argument substitution and support _iteration_ on fetches rather than
> having to either fetch one, or a list... that's a minimum set on which I
> hope agreement could be reached...

I fear that this will only happen when our loved BDFL blesses one
interface, either directly or indirectly (by delegating, and somehow
enforcing a PEP written by others). Barring that there will always be
some level of disagreement, and semi incompatible drivers will stil
lbe the norm.

(I have echoed similar thoughts on AMK's blog a few days ago,
regarding his call for a focus on the standard library for the
upcoming Python release. For some things, there will _never_ be a real
consensus, unless someone with _real_ power puts an end to the
discussion. Period).

> For a far more ambitious goal, look al psycopg2 -- YUM... adaptation
> roolz!!!  (My secret dream is to have psycopg2 and PySQLite 2.0 support
> the same API -- at which point I will care little what the DBAPI does,
> since, unless a client twists my arm _and_ dangles bags of gold in front
> of me, PostgreSQL and SQLite are the only two RDBMSs I really
> need...!-).  Considering the nationalities of the psycopg[2] and
> PySQLite developers, might I suggest rekindling the goot olt Rome-Berlin
> Axis, or would that automatically invoke Goodwin's Law & kill the
> thread?-)

I don't know. I thought that Godwin's law (spelled with one 'o' only,
I think) when applied to python-list involved either linguistics or
aesthethical discussions :-)