python vs c#

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sat Oct 2 20:30:59 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 08:50, Alex Ravenscroft Martelli wrote:
> Sorry, but I think you're being too restrictive.  More impressively, so
> does one William Shakespeare (Comedy of Errors):
> """
> There's not a man I meet but doth salute me,
>  As if I were their well-acquainted friend.
> """
> See?  "a man" ... "their".
>
> And the author of another of the masterpieces of English, the "King
> James' Bible" (Matthew 18:35):
> "...if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their
> trespasses..."
> See?  "brother" <-> "their".

Of course, William Shakespeare was the author, or at least the
translator, or one of the translators, of the King James Bible (KJB),
evidenced by the fact that in Psalm 46, the 46th word from the beginning
is 'shake' and the 46th word from the end (excluding the final,
obligatory "Selah") is  'spear'. Shakespeare was 46 years of age in 1611
when the KJB was first published. You can verify this here:

http://www.cforc.com/kjv/Psalms/46.html

This factoid was mentioned in a review by Martin Gardiner of that very
rare tome, "Dr Matrix's Numerological Concordance to the King James
Bible", which appeared in the "Mathematical Diversions" section of the
Scientific American magazine some time in the 1970s or early 1980s (as I
dimly recall).

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0