The IDE question

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Oct 10 14:11:48 EDT 2004

> All of the IDEs I've found (google + python wiki page) are either A)
> Commercial or B) Written for either an older version of python or
> wxPython or C) Are syntax highlighting in eclipse and that's it.
>
> All I'm really looking for is the equivalent of IDLE with tabbed
> browsing. Anyone have any suggestions?

I hate to pimp my own editor, but you may want to give PyPE a try
(http://pype.sf.net). It handles multiple documents via tabs, has a
source browser (updated with 'F5'), and various other features that may
just win it for you.  I also have a few screenshots of it up at
http://pype.sf.net/ss.html if you'd like to look before you leap.

1.9.3 is reported to work with wxPython 2.5.1.5, but if you are on
Windows, feel free to run the binary (I do).

 - Josiah

P.S. DrPython has better autocompletion (theirs will look through module
names), if you find DrPython's quality necessary, I'm sorry.