locks

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 10:19:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 14:03 +0000, Duncan Booth wrote:
> Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > I'm no expert at dis nor Python bytecode, but I'll give it a shot :)

> > 134           0 LOAD_GLOBAL              0 (findlabels)
> >               3 LOAD_FAST                0 (code)
> >               6 CALL_FUNCTION            1
> >               9 STORE_FAST               5 (labels)

> ><snip dis spitting out over 500 lines of bytecode>
> >
> > 172     >>  503 PRINT_NEWLINE
> >             504 JUMP_ABSOLUTE           33
> >         >>  507 POP_TOP
> >             508 POP_BLOCK
> >         >>  509 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
> >             512 RETURN_VALUE
> >>>>

> > It looks fairly non-atomic to me.
>
> The append method of a list returns None. dis.dis(None) disassembles the
> code from the last traceback object, nothing at all to do with your
> l.append(1) code.

Ah, thanks.  I thought 500+ lines of bytecode was a bit excessive for a
simple append(), but didn't see any reason why.  I saw the comment in
the docs about dis returning the last traceback if no argument was
provided but didn't see how that applied here.

> Try this instead:

> 	l.append(1)

>   2           0 LOAD_GLOBAL              0 (l)
>               3 LOAD_ATTR                1 (append)
>               6 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
>               9 CALL_FUNCTION            1
>              12 POP_TOP
>              13 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
>              16 RETURN_VALUE

Much more reasonable.  Still, I think my argument stands since this
appears non-atomic as well, although I do note this:

>>> l = []
>>> dis.dis(l.append)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/dis.py", line 46, in dis
    raise TypeError, \
TypeError: don't know how to disassemble builtin_function_or_method
objects

This suddenly gave me a smack on the head that list.append is
undoubtedly written in C and might, in fact, retain the GIL for the
duration of the function in which case the operation might, in fact, be
atomic (yes, I know that isn't necessarily what the above traceback was
saying, but it served as a clue-stick).

Still, despite the probability of being quite mistaken about the low-
level internals of the operation, I still stand by my assertion that not
using locks for mutable data is ill-advised at best, for the reasons I
outlined in my previous post (aside from the poorly executed
disassembly).

Regards,
Cliff

--