GPL and Python modules.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 25 12:09:39 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:

>> > I'd say everything that uses a GPL'd module is derived work
>> > and must also be GPL'd. It doesn't matter how you distribute
>> > it.
>>
>> So my application code must be GPL'd even if I never distribute
>> the module?  The mere act of inserting the line=20
>>
>> "import someGPLdmodule"
>>
>> Makes my _source_code_ a derived work, and therefore must be
>> GPL'd?  That just doesn't sound right.
>
> The GPL only applies if you distribute your work (outside your
> organization).

Yes, I realize that, and it has nothing to do with my question.

> It would probably be a smart move to just *ask* the author of
> the module if it's ok with him what you're planning to do.
> Only if the two of you disagree, then you need to worry about
> the legal questions.

I don't really want to have to come to individual agreements
with 5-10 different module authors.  That's why "standard"
licenses were invented.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Didn't I buy a 1951
                                  at               Packard from you last March