interface boilerplate

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 07:17:43 EDT 2004

John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> The only problem I've seen so far is that the name of the function in
> pydoc string is 'wrapper', and I want it to appear as "plot".  I tried
> setting the __name__ attribute, but it is read only.

Yes, a 2.3 problem, solved in 2.4.

> Any suggestions on how to best define these matlab interface functions
> by automatically wrapping the Axes instance functions?  I'd like to
> support python2.2 so python2.2 compliant solutions especially welcome.

Then I guess upgrading to 2.4 is out of the question.

To make a function just like another but with a different name:

def changed_name_function(f, newname):
    import new
    return new.function(f.func_code, f.func_globals, newname,
                        f.func_defaults, f.func_closure)

I believe this should work in 2.2 as well (not tested).

Alex