MySQLdb and MySQL 4.1 server :(

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Oct 22 10:28:41 EDT 2004

In article <34z0t1sfx8wa$.lcn7b3aki5sg.dlg at 40tude.net>, JZ  <z at b.com> wrote:
>MySQLdb 1.0 cannot connect to MySQL 4.1 server when the user has non-empty
>password :(

This is hardly surpising, as "MySQL-4.1 is not yet supported, and
probably won't be until MySQLdb-1.3 or 2.0." (from the README, which
also says "If you fail to read all of this document and ask questions
that are already answered, I reserve the right to verbally abuse you.")

That said, it *does* work if you build MySQLdb from source (it needs a
minor tweak to _mysql.c if you've got a really recent 4.1, and will
probably need some adjustment to setup.py). MySQL passwords changed
between 4.0 and 4.1.0 and again in 4.1.1 in rather incompatible ways,
so a client binary expecting 4.0 doesn't stand much chance with a 4.1
server.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"