2 Newbie questions.

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 02:21:26 EDT 2004

Len Sumnler <pcslen <at> comcast.net> writes:
> I have searched the net and performed chmod +x mypython.py and added as the
> first line of my program #!/usr/bin/env python.  When I try to run the
> program as follows $ mypython.py I get the error message of, "bash:
> mypython.py: command not found".  What am i doing wrong.

Not really a Python question, but maybe I can help anyway.  A couple of things
to check:

1) Does "/usr/bin/env python" work at the shell prompt?  If not you probably
don't have python on your path.

2) If "/usr/bin/env python" does work for you from the shell, did you create
mypython.py on a Windows machine?  I've gotten these errors occasionally when
moving a script from a Windows box to a Unix box because the shell doesn't
like the \r's that Windows puts at the end of lines.  You could try using
dos2unix or a similar script to remove these.

Steve