Method Underscores?

Lonnie Princehouse finite.automaton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:18:58 EDT 2004

It's extremely common for Python newbies to accidentally overwrite
the names of important things.  I see stuff like this all the time:

    list = [1,2,3]
    str = "Hello world"

This sort of accidental trampling would be even more frequent without
the underscores.

And, to play devil's advocate, there are probably a dozen ways to
hack around the underscores, for those who don't like them:

class __silly__(type):
    def __new__(cls, name, bases, dct):
        # incomplete list - just enough for a demo
        magic_functions = ['init','len','str']
        for f in [x for x in magic_functions if x in dct]:
            dct['__%s__' % f] = dct[f]
        return type.__new__(cls, name, bases, dct)
__metaclass__ = __silly__

class Bar:
    def init(self):
        print "init Bar instance"