Some more notes

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Oct 24 14:41:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:01:00 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> bearophile wrote:
>> Cliff Wells:
>>>Why not just use "/"?
>>
>> Okay, I'll use os.path.normcase to convert them.
>
> That's not necessary in almost all cases.  Windows happily(*)
> accepts forward slashes in all system calls.  The only place
> it does not is in the *shell* (aka command.com and cmd.exe).
> (*) There are theories that although Windows does accept
> forward slashes, it does so only grudgingly.

IIRC, forward slashes have been acceptable since way back in early MS-DOS --
although someone somewhere on Usenet suggested that Microsoft have never
commited to keeping it that way.

Personally, I tend to use them -- but I accept full responsibility when/if
it breaks.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!