[Possible Bug-Python2.3.2] MD5 module?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Oct 14 02:33:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:07:43 -0400, Jean-Guillaume Paradis <jean-guillaume.paradis at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>    I've tried to use the md5 module of python 2.3.3, and the results of
>a hash do not concord with those of reference sites such as
>http://bfl.rctek.com/tools/?tool=hasher
>
>    I call it using
>
>    import md5
>    m = md5.new()
>    m.update("a")
>    print m.hexdigest()
>

>    I have not checked if the problem is the same on more recent version
>though
Why don't you show the result that you think is wrong instead of making useless
work for anyone interested?

Here is what I get:

 >>> import md5
 >>> m = md5.new()
 >>> m.update("a")
 >>> print m.hexdigest()
 0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661

Now if you do the same with your reference implementation, we can get somewhere ;-)
BTW, I seem to have the same version as you (if you are on windows):

 >>> import sys
 >>> sys.version
 '2.3.2 (#49, Oct  2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]'

Regards,
Bengt Richter