Database Connectivity

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Sun Oct 10 16:47:29 EDT 2004

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:

>>>      Access, itself, is merely a GUI builder front-end. You are
>>> likely using M$ JET as the database engine.
>>

>> Amen!  People keep making this mistake over and over and over again.
>> Access is a product Microsoft sells; Jet is one they give away for free;
>> etc, etc -- how CAN it be so hard to distinguish?!
>

> How can it be so hard to distinguish?
>
> Gee - how about - cuz M$ doesn't bother telling you? It *says* M$ Access
> - right there on the package and on the computer. It doesn't say M$
> Jet... I used M$ Access for years, even took classes in it, did some
> pretty kewl stuff with it. Never was Jet mentioned anywhere at anytime.
> I found out from a geek buddy by accident one day...
>
> BTW: I just did a google check:
>
> the Product Overview page for M$ Access 2003 doesn't mention Jet once!
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/access/prodinfo/overview.mspx
>
> Nor does the Data Access and Storage Developer Center page!
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/Default.aspx
>
> and it ain't just M$. I found a lovely page called AccesSolutions:
> Microsoft Access Database Solutions, with not a single mention of Jet.
>
> In other words, if you didn't already *know*, you're damned unlikely to
> find out until some "real" database geek gives you a hard time about not
> knowing.
>

> Anna

Just to follow up on this - I think this is another case of M$ evility.
They *like* that people think of Access as a database - cuz if people
realized that they could use another database, they might realize they
could also use *another* front end.

So, I really don't think it's deliberate blurring of the lines by the
*users* of M$ Access, so much as by M$, and the poor users simply don't
know any better.

I want to emphasize that I understand how frustrating it is to keep
coming across the same myths and misunderstandings, and that c.l.py is
great for gently pointing out the real information to folks.

Anna