distutils for non-python windows installers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 27 14:05:09 EDT 2004

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> I can find a few questions regarding the use of distutils for making
> non-python windows installers, but none of them really helps. Are
> there any pointers on how to do this? Can it be done?

To my knowledge, the answer is no. The resulting installer will look
for an existing Python installation on the target machine, and refuse
to operate if none can be found.

Of course, you have the complete source code of that installer
(including the code to the user interface), so you can adjust
it to your needs.

> A little OT: What about making MSI installation files instead of .exe?
> Is it a good idea to consider at all?

I would always recommend creating MSI files over some proprietary .exe
installers, as it allows for better customization, unattended
installation, and network installations.

If you want to do that using Python, please have a look at my Python
installer in the Tools/msi directory of Python 2.4b1.

Regards,
Martin