Python Macros

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 04:34:44 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Some might argue that this is not the message passing paradigm, as (in
> their opinion) the message passing paradigm mandates that _all_
> interaction with the object be done via messages, and they might
> (justifiably) argue that "x.y" is _not_ really a message.

I don't see the "justifiably" part -- how does the choice of syntax
sugar make some operation "really a message" or not?!

> But then, many would say that Python is not object-oriented at all, as
> it does not have access restriction (enforced privacy).

And others have put down in writing that "being really object-oriented"
absolutely requires static typing (!) -- which means that Smalltalk
isn't Object Oriented, either.  The fact that people can and do say
totally idiotic things (often when they're trying to sell you snake oil,
or trying to keep their self-respect after having bought snake oil
themselves) doesn't mean much -- it's just a reflection on the natural
history of domesticated primates.  _We_ of course don't need snake oil,
since we have the whole snake...

Alex