Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

Bishara Gabriel bgabriel at cloudthunder.com
Wed Oct 6 20:08:42 EDT 2004

Tim Churches wrote:

> <SNIP>
>

>Seriously, the benchmark these days are games like SimCity, Civilisation
>and Age of Empires, or The Sims for a more personal perspective.
>Spending a few days playing these games is mandatory research for the
>Social Analysis and Modelling for Python team.
>
>Are there any existing open source or commercial simulation games
>written in or scriptable with Python, I wonder?

Well, we did not budget into the proposal the purchase of SimCity,
Civilization, and/or Age of Empires.  So I do not think this will at all
play into our design.  However, if someone would like to donate these
games to our effort, we would then be capable of incorporating and
taking into account their simulative qualities.

I do not know of any python simulation games, just RPGs and FPSs which
use Python as a glue and game engine driver.  There are open source
simulations though, just not in Python.  Remember though that this is
not intended to be some sort of simplistic, fun, entertainment oriented
development.  It is (in theoretical existence) a serious academic tool
intended to serve the demands of social scientific research.

Sincerely,
 Bishara Gabriel