Reimplenting Linux Kernel in Python

Peter L Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Oct 13 19:02:02 EDT 2004

Maboroshi wrote:
> Peter L Hansen wrote:
>> Maboroshi wrote:
>>
>>> My question has to do with python and linux - I was interested in
>>> finding out what it would take to reimplement the Linux Kernel in
>>> python basically just taking the source code from linux and rewriting
>>> it in python Would this idea make sense to do - if so what would be
>>> the benefits of doing this and in what way would this not be a good idea
>>
>> Um, you're the one suggesting a re-write.  Doesn't that mean
>> it's sort of your job to know the benefits of doing it?  There
>> are certainly endless reasons why it's not a good idea...
>
> Um sorry I should say in your opinion what would be the benefits and
> also what would be the disbenefits
>
>  > Um, you're the one suggesting a re-write.  Doesn't that mean
>  > it's sort of your job to know the benefits of doing it?
>
> I understand some of the benefits but not all

Let me be more explicit then.  I think this is an idea that
is based on very little understanding of what is involved,
to the point that I think it would be pointless to discuss
it without knowing what are the things *you* perceive as
being benefits, and what disadvantages or potential road-blocks
*you* have already thought of.

-Peter