Outputting to specific sound channels?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 1 08:59:40 EDT 2004

Peter L Hansen wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:

[...]
>> It seems almost churlish to ask if you realise that a microphone is an
>> input device.
>

> Come on, Steve, haven't you ever seen a speaker built to act
> bidirectionally, so it can be used both as an output or an input?
> They're very handy in intercom systems and are quite fun to build
> from scratch, for a beginner like I am. :-)
>
> -Peter

Well I realize you know hardly anything about electronics, Peter, but
even you have to admit that a speaker makes a much better input
transducer than a microphone is likely to make an output transducer, if
only because of the lower power-handling capacity.

I was going to add to my folly by chuntering on about electrostatic
microphones until I remembered that you can also buy electrostatic speakers.

still-looking-for-a-100-watt-microphone-ly y'rs  - steve