Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Oct 4 14:27:22 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:41:57PM +0000, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> One thought is that the actual quote identifier doesn't need
> to be shown.  To start the quote, press '.  The computer
> inserts '' and puts the cursor so the next character is
> in between the two quotes.  Everything between those two
> characters is treated as a string.  To stop the quote,
> right arrow past the final quote or, in THE/HUMANE style,
> LEAP to it.

... but if an editor is doing something fancy for display, the
representation of the string as bytes-in-a-file could include
backslashes, while the version onscreen would be unbackslashed and
surrounded by "special quotes"---something that can be drawn but not
typed.  For instance, underlined quote marks, though you *can* type
those as unicode combining characters, I guess.  Green quotes?  Nope,
color blindness is a problem here.  Flashing quote marks it is.  Unless
unicode has a COMBINING 1.27HZ FLASH code point I don't know about)

Jeff