(solved) smtplib, capturing output from set_debuglevel ??

Tim Williams listserver at tdw.net
Fri Oct 8 16:06:56 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josiah Carlson" <jcarlson at uci.edu>

> I hope you didn't change your own copy of smtplib, but just subclassed
> it. Changing a standard module is a good way to get bitten in the ass,
> especially during Python upgrades.

No,  I created a copy with a different name,  and import that into the
server prog instead. :-)

As to subclassing,  I took newbie fright and ran away from that.     It
would be my first sub-class,  though I do aim to have an attempt at it once
I get the modified smtplib into the production server and have a bit more
time.

> In regards to changing the standard library's smtplib permanently, you
> may or may not find support.  A good way to find out is to post here
> with the subject "proposed change to smtplib in standard library",
> describe your changes, and if it has support, head to
> sf.net/projects/python, list it as an RFE, and offer the code you have
> written yourself.

OK,  I may just do that in the future, once I'm sure I have something
generic that others would benefit from.

> P.S. Did you get my post with the multi-threaded output?  You get the
> entire stream of debug data for a particular smtp thread in a single
> string.

I did thanks,   I'm working my way through it,  as soon as I understand it
and get some  time  I'll give it a go too :-)