ctypes 0.9.2 released

Just just at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 29 10:46:58 EDT 2004

In article <du7d5z1fx08.fsf at mozart.cc.tut.fi>,
 Ville Vainio <ville at spammers.com> wrote:

>     >> Seconded!  Python 2.5 should be mostly about standard-library
>     >> enhancements, and ctypes would be a huge enhancement to Python's
>     >> stdlib.
>
>     Just> In general, Guido is very reluctant to accept thing which
>     Just> make is easy to cause segfaults. I predict you'll have a
>
> Why is that? Users of ctypes can quite easily understand that when
> they are using ctypes, they are not using Python but rather
> integrating Python with the environment. Of course using pure Python
> code (and integrating with only the C code that is bundled with the
> distribution) shouldn't segfault, but with ctypes tho user will know
> that the third party code is to blame.
>
> Or are there some security issues?
>
> One of the perceived strengths of Python is the fact that it
> integrates well with the platforms it is running on, so it's not an
> insulated box like Java.

Another one of Pythons perceived strengths is that if you get a
segfault, it's a bug in Python. With ctypes that will no longer be as
clear.

There's also a practical problem with including ctypes (unless it's an
optional module, like bsddb) is that it depends (at least on unix) on a
rather large and complex library: libffi.

I personally love ctypes, although I haven't used it in real projects
yet. It's a wonderful package. But I don't think it's a good fit for the
std library (regardless of the arguments above).

Just