Help - my Tkinter is broken

Mike Moum DoubleMPi at Netscape.com
Sat Oct 2 13:39:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm running Mepix Linux, which is a Debian based distribution.
Python-2.3.4 is installed in /usr/lib.  When I try to import Tkinter
into Python, I get the following error message:
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: undefined
symbol: PyFPE_jbuf
I've tried the following fixes:
1) Recompile Python from scratch.  No good.
2) Delete _tkinter.so from /usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload, then
recompile.  However, when I did that there was no _tkinter.so rebuilt in
/usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload.  I have sub-directories for tcl-8.4 and
tk-8.4 under /usr/lib.
3) Thinking that the compilation process is looking for tk and tcl under
/usr/local/lib, I created symlinks there to /usr/lib/tcl-8.4 and
/usr/lib/tk-8.4, and then repeated step 2.  Still no _tkinter.so.

Searching on google did not find anything useful.

Can anyone help, please.

Thanks,
Mike