GPL and Python modules.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 25 16:45:04 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:
>>Whatever gave you the idea you are obligated to provide support?!
>

> Experience.
>
> Customers seem to have no problem with not getting source code,
> but once you _do_ give them source code then you have to
> support it.  Ignoring customers when they ask questions about
> the source code has always proven in past experience to be "not
> an option."

Well, it sounds like an issue for your contract; i.e., an explicit
clause about not supporting code that has been modified in any way.  Or
maybe make it explicit that a higher level of support contract is
required, or something of the sort.  That's a sales issue.  If the
contract has already been signed, I think that's okay -- that level of
support is never implied.

But sales issues are boring, we can only help with technical solutions.
  A technical solution might be to make hashes of all the files you
release, and include something that checks those hashes; maybe when the
program is started, or in a support screen, or whatever.  If they've
modified any files, put a big message up that they have modified the
product and there is no warrantee or support for the product in that
state.  It's like a tamper-proof sticker on hardware, but easier on them
because they can put the sticker back if they want (i.e., undo their
modifications).

If they are sneaky they'd change the hashes.  But that'd be more than
sneaky, they'd have to be assholes with an intent to defraud if they go
that far.  And if you are dealing with customers of that sort, then
you're doomed.

And if they just want help making modifications, well gee, it should be
pretty darn easy to turn them down on that.