2.3.4 windows installer

Brad Tilley bradtilley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 17:03:04 EDT 2004

R.Marquez wrote:
> Brad Tilley <bradtilley at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
>>dozens/hundreds of machines.
>

> When you have "dozens/hundreds of machines" in Windows you will be
> better off having some kind of Application deployment mechanism such
> as SMS (not that I am promoting that particular one).  Those tools
> will allow you to create a wrapper installation package whith which
> you can automate the way the original setup program is run.  You can
> then push this installation packages at will or simply allow the users
> to pull them in as desired.

It's not as simple as that for me... we're informal with many types of
HW and most machines are geographically distributed and administered by
the users... we only touch machines when they initially arrive and we
only see users when a problem arises and they come in...We try to
develop generic OS installations and Python sys-admin tools that work
for every machine in every location and situation.

thanks for the suggestion.