Python utility convert Windows long file name into 8.3 DOS format

vincent wehren vincent at visualtrans.de
Thu Oct 28 07:14:41 EDT 2004

Simon Brunning wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:55:16 +0200, vincent wehren
> <vincent at visualtrans.de> wrote:
>
>>Just note that GetShortPathName expects a valid and accessible path in
>>your file system.
>

> Which is just as it should be. Files that don't exist don't *have*
> short names. One might be able to put together a function that
> *guesses* what short name Windows would be likely to give a new file
> with a given long name, but it would be pretty unreliable, I reckon.

Exactly. And on top of that, there may be situations where files that
*do* exist *don't* have a 8.3 alias, making any such guesswork even
harder. So in retrospect, the correct answer to OP's question should be:
"No. There is no conversion utility", as the relationship between long
name - short name is not on of a-to-b conversion.

--
Vincent Wehren