Help required with mod_python and apache virtual hosts

andy andy at wild-flower.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 18:15:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 03:53, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> andy <andy at wild-flower.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to get mod_python working on my web server, but I'm running
> > into problems, possibly due to having virtual hosts configured.
>
> What problems are you having?  What are you expecting to happen,
> and what is actually happening?  If there are warning or error
> messages, what are they?  What makes you think the problems might
> be related to virtual hosts?
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr
> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Thanks for replying, Michael.

Is it too simplistic to just say "it doesn't work" ?  As I said, Apache
is not one of my areas of expertise (yet!).  I have tried to configure
it according to the pycon 2004 "Introduction to mod_python" paper's
examples, but as the httpd.conf file is arranged as a common part and
then "includes" config files for each virtual host, I'm not sure I've
done it right.  First, I tried to configure it so I can put the python
scripts anywhere in the web-servers httpdoc tree, but that didn't work,
so I have now tried customising one of the include files, but that
doesn't work either.  This configuration scheme is dictated by my
hosting company, and whereas I *could* change it, I'd lose all hope of
support should I need it ;-) and the automated admin tool might stop
working, too. I can get away with altering parts of it, but not a
wholesale re-write (not that I'm capable of this anyway).

Here's the error I get in the browser:

"""
Object not found!

 The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL
manually please check your spelling and try again.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster

Error 404

www.fusionation.org
 Thu 30 Sep 2004 11:03:23 PM BST
 Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
"""

The file in question *is* available, and readable by Apache (I've proven
this by simply renaming it with .html on the end - as expected, the
browser just shows the python source).

I can't think of what else to check.

Hope that gives you something to go on...

regards,
-andyj