Example of how to use logging for both screen and file

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 11:02:22 EDT 2004

Here's a simple example of logging DEBUG info to file and INFO to
console. This example has been added to the documentation in CVS.

import logging

#set up logging to file - see previous section for more details
logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG,
                    format='%(asctime)s %(name)-12s %(levelname)-8s
%(message)s',
                    datefmt='%m-%d %H:%M',
                    filename='/temp/myapp.log',
                    filemode='w')
#define a Handler which writes INFO messages or higher to the
sys.stderr
console = logging.StreamHandler()
console.setLevel(logging.INFO)
#set a format which is simpler for console use
formatter = logging.Formatter('%(name)-12s: %(levelname)-8s
%(message)s')
#tell the handler to use this format
console.setFormatter(formatter)
#add the handler to the root logger
logging.getLogger('').addHandler(console)

#Now, we can log to the root logger, or any other logger. First the
root...
logging.info('Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.')

#Now, define a couple of other loggers which might represent areas in
your
#application:

logger1 = logging.getLogger('myapp.area1')
logger2 = logging.getLogger('myapp.area2')

logger1.debug('Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.')
logger1.info('How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.')
logger2.warning('Jail zesty vixen who grabbed pay from quack.')
logger2.error('The five boxing wizards jump quickly.')

leads to

10-22 22:19 root         INFO     Jackdaws love my big sphinx of
quartz.
10-22 22:19 myapp.area1  DEBUG    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.
10-22 22:19 myapp.area1  INFO     How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.
10-22 22:19 myapp.area2  WARNING  Jail zesty vixen who grabbed pay
from quack.
10-22 22:19 myapp.area2  ERROR    The five boxing wizards jump
quickly.

in the file and

root        : INFO     Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.
myapp.area1 : INFO     How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.
myapp.area2 : WARNING  Jail zesty vixen who grabbed pay from quack.
myapp.area2 : ERROR    The five boxing wizards jump quickly.

on the console (note the absence of the DEBUG message on the console).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip