Include pysqlite2 into Python 2.5?

Simon Brunning simon.brunning at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 05:05:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:13:56 +0200, Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:

(snip)

> I think that a simple embedded relational database would be a good
> thing to have in Python by default. And as Python 2.5 won't happen
> anytime soon, there's plenty of time for developing it, getting it
> stable, and integrating it.

I think it's a great idea.

> One problem I see is that even the new PySQLite will grow and try to
> wrap much of the SQLite API that are not directly related to the
> DB-API. If such a thing is too complicated/big for the standard
> library, then maybe it would be better to produce a much simpler
> PySQLite, especially for the Python standard library that leaves all
> the fancy stuff out. My codename would be "embsql".

I think it's important that we realise that if Python ships with a
default database engine, its API will rapidly become the de-facto
standard, eclipsing the DB-API if it is different in any way.

Which is not to say that the current DB-API should be used. There have
been discussions elsewhere about improving and simplifying the DB-API
- providing iterators, getting rid of all but one of the parameter
styles, that kind of thing. Perhaps the best thing would be to agree a
DB-API version 3.0 over on the DB SIG, then make sure that the built
in module supports that.

> So, what would you like to see? "import sqlite", "import embsql", or
> "pypi.install('pysqlite')" ?

I'd like to see a package into which you could plug different SQL
database engines, with SQLLite as the default. So, you might do:

from sql import sql
sqllite = sql.Engine()
my_database = sqllite.Database('c:/mydatabese.db', 'user_id', 'password')

But you if you were using another engine, you'd only need to change this to:

from sql import sql
from other_engine import other_engine
other_database = sql.Engine(other_engine)
my_database = other_database.Database('c:/myotherdatabese.db',
'user_id', 'password')

--
Cheers,
Simon B,