Python Patterns

Johannes Eble skywalkerpackage at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 03:59:37 EDT 2004

Hello Alex,

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:56:19 +0200, aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli)
wrote:

>Irmen de Jong <irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I really should dust off my old GOF Desing Patterns book,
>> because your code made me remember the "state" pattern right away :-)
>>
>> There should be a Python version of that book... I think that
>
>Yep -- I've been writing about DPs with/for Python for years now (that's
>the invariable background to almost all of my conference talks &c, check
>most of them out at www.strakt.com), and one day (once I'm done doing
>2nd editions of cookbooks and nutshells;-) I hope to write a book about
>that (plus materials on agile programming practices, again with Python
>as the explanatory language).

Will your book also be influenced by Design Patterns in Dynamic
Languages e.g. Common Lisp? Peter Norvig argues that 16 GoF Patterns
are simply workarounds of C++ like language shortcomings. It would be
very interesting to see such a discussion for Python. Also, Norvig's
slides are somewhat too terse for me (as well as Lisp macros etc.).
It's a pity that most of the pattern books are based on the GoF book
only.
See

http://norvig.com/design-patterns/

Best regards