mod_python newbie question.

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Oct 28 01:10:07 EDT 2004

"Golawala, Moiz M (GE Infrastructure)" <Moiz.Golawala at ge.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am very new to mod_python (I have developed application with python
>but am new to web development in general). I have read most of the
>documentation and I have a couple of questions. I am planning to use
>mod_python along with Cheetah to build an internal website for my
>company.

If you are new to web development, you should throw out mod_python and
create your internal web using using plain, ordinary CGI scripts.
Mod_python introduces a number of configuration complications and debugging
difficulties (as you have already found).  The performance penalty of
invoking a new interpreter each time is very slight, especially if you're
compiling Cheetah templates each time.  CGI scripts are easy to debug, and
unlike mod_python handlers, you can test them from a command line.

Remember the golden rule of development: FIRST get it to work, THEN decide
if it needs to go faster.  Many production web sites work just fine with
nothing fancier than CGI.

>In the documentation I don't see any multi page working examples. Can
>some one point me to some resource that has working mult-page html (PSP
>or Cheetah based) examples with the necessary Directory tags in the
>httpd.conf file so I can better understand what is going on.

By switching to CGI, you lose all of this configuration file mucking.  Just
add Options +ExecCgi.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.