Alternatives for pickle?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:25:10 EDT 2004

Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote in message news:<slrncmkgq0.54i.apardon at rcpc42.vub.ac.be>...
> I'm writing a little game, a gridler application, where you
> can turn pixmaps into puzzle's and try to solve them. I already
> have the data structure for such a puzzle worked out, one of
> the problems is writing it to a file and reading it back in.
>
> I first went to the pickle module but there I read this.
>
> | Warning: The pickle module is not intended to be secure against
> | erroneous or maliciously constructed data. Never unpickle data
> | received from an untrusted or unauthenticated source.

Hmmm..... I wonder how easy it is to craft a malicious pickle that
will automatically run code objects just because they are unpickled.
My guess is that it's quite difficult - I've never heard of it *ever*
being done. Someone would have to be *very* malicious to work out how
to do it on the off chance of planting a back door into someone's
machine through a program like yours. No offence intended, but if they
were going to go to all that effort I expect they might aim for
something with a wider audience.

I would expect it to be 'safe enough', but that might not be safe
enough for you !

Creating your own data format is probably the way forward - and
probably not that difficult either.

Regards,

Fuzzy